By Camila Paladini
The fall season is upon us and that means crunchy leaves, pumpkin spice lattes, Halloween and lots of fun fall activities for all! With social distancing restrictions being lifted from certain places, more and more opportunities are arising to make this fall fun and memorable. The below list is all COVID-friendly fall activities to do here in Bergen County.
- Apple Picking – Apple picking is a great way to get into the Fall spirit! Grab a bag or 2 and fill it with the most delicious and crunchy apples to take home and turn into awesome creations like apple pie, apple cider, or just enjoy as is. Demarest Farms in Hillsdale, NJ is the perfect place to go! Booking a time to go apple picking also means free hayrides, a petting zoo, and their farm’s market that sells fresh apple cider and donuts! Reservations are required for this season.
- Pumpkin Picking – Halloween is right around the corner, and what better way to get into the spooky spirit than to go pumpkin picking and then carve them into awesome designs. Abma Farms has got you covered! Located in Wyckoff, NJ, a ticket to Abma farm means an unforgettable experience filled with a hayride, barnyard access, and of course – your very own pumpkin! If that wasn’t enough – Abma is holding Pumpkin decorating sessions on October 12th & 19 where you can unleash your inner child and design a spooktacular pumpkin. Due to high demand and limited capacity all tickets for activities must be purchased in advance.
- Visit a Haunted House – For those who love the eerie and scary (and love to help out a good cause), the Ravenscroft Manor Haunted House is for you! Located in Mahwah, NJ this haunted house is filled with special effects and live actors. All proceeds of this event benefit Girl Scout Troop 259 of Mahwah, New Jersey. This awesome ticketed event opens October 15th with an admission ticket price of $10. Fun for families with children ages 12 and up, this activity is the perfect weekend activity for Bergen students!
- Oktoberfest – The Oktoberfest celebration at the Demarest Nature Center in Demarest, NJ is the perfect family-friendly activity for those who wish to spend a night immersing themselves in German culture with music, food (with vegan and vegetarian options), and beer (for our 21 and up crew, drink responsibly). This outdoor event is going to be held on October 9th, 2021, and is a great way to spend some time with family and learn the beauty of German culture!
- Visit a Corn-Maze – For those in the mood for some healthy competition, the Lupardi’s Nursery in Wyckoff, NJ offers a fun 6-acre corn maze competition! This wonderful experience also includes options like getting a haunted hayride, feeding some animals, and going inside the haunted greenhouse. Perfect for friends and families of all ages as well as spending some time in the autumn air. Visit Lupardi’s nursery for an unforgettable experience!
- Halloween Light Show – Experience Halloween through the safety of your car with this awesome show provided by Demarest Farms in Hillsdale, NJ! Starting their light show on October 11, 2021, this show takes you through 32 acres of spooky fun for everyone. Finish off the evening with some hot cocoa and s’mores too! Due to restrictions and capacity limitations, a reservation is required for this event however, it goes on every day from October 11 all the way to the 31st so there is plenty of time to enjoy this awesome event!
- Go on a Hike – Sometimes as college students, the perfect weekend is being surrounded by beautiful nature and relaxing. The Ramapo Valley County Reservation in Mahwah, NJ offers just that, and what better time to go than in the autumn time to watch all the leaves change colors. With designated hiking trails, this is the perfect afternoon activity for those that want to immerse themselves in nature and enjoy the peace and quiet.
- Eat Apple Cider Donuts – If you happen to visit Demarest Farms for any of the aforementioned activities, you must pick up some apple cider donuts on your way out. Not only are they a delicious fall treat, but NJFamily has named the donuts in Demarest Farms one of the best in the state!
- Build Your Own Scarecrow! – For those wanting to avoid the autumn crowds and preferring to stay home, building your own scarecrow is a wonderful way to get into the fall spirit! Either using a store-bought scarecrow kit or making it all on your own, this fun family activity is sure to bring smiles all around!
However you chose to spend your fall this season, remember to take some time away from the books to relax and enjoy some of the wonderful activities Bergen County has to offer!